RefactoringRefactoring of existing software will enable you to:
- best leverage your past investment, and
- to reduce the risk of further additions to your software in the future.
Why Object Craft? We bring over 50 years of hands-on industry experience in maintaining and improving existing codebases to every project.
Feel free to download our skills summary or contact us to discuss how we can help you get the most out of your investment in software.
What is refactoring?
Refactoring is the restructuring of software to:
- extract full benefits from all existing components,
- simplify and clarify the software architecture,
- make design insights more explicit,
- develop frameworks, and
- reduce the development time, cost and risk of further additions to the code.
Benefits of refactoring
- Full leverage of your existing investment
- Reduction in the cost of support and maintance
- Shortening of the time required to undertake further developments
- Less dependence on programmers who have intimate experience
with the code.
- Ability to do component testing to deliver greater reliability of individual components within the application.
- Code is grouped logically making each component comprehensible without having to understand the whole system.
- Internal structure of the app is improved making enhancements easier to add and less likely to destabilise the whole app.
- Refactoring minimises duplication of code reduces size and machine resources of application
What are the symptoms of software that needs refactoring?
- The application is unreliable,
- The code is difficult to maintain and costly to support,
- Deployment of enhancements frequently run over time and over budget,
- There is undue dependence on programmers who have intimate experience with the code.